Edmodo has become an indispensable platform for parents, students and teachers. We tell you what it is, how it works and why you should use it in the classroom.
One of the growing trends in the educational environment is gamification , which is nothing more than a pedagogical tool that consists of using the psychology of the game, its mechanics and dynamics in non-recreational environments (such as a class).
Currently, there are multiple ways to carry out this trend, but without a doubt, the most popular and practical of all is Edmodo, an educational platform that works very similar to that of a social network.
Thus, it has all the advantages that any Social Media can bring without the danger that these entail for children, since they base their technology on closed environments between students, teachers and parents whose objective is to share messages, documents or events.
In fact, among its main virtues is that it is a free space, in Spanish and in which minors can register. But the best thing is that the pages on which it operates are private by default, which implies that the information is only accessible to those who access the platform through their username and password.
How does Edmodo work?
The first thing to keep in mind is that in Edmodo there are three types of profiles.
First of all we have the teachers, who are in charge of creating groups and managing them. Thus, they can create a group of an entire class or a specific subject and upload documents, create events, design assignments or grade students, among other things.
On the other hand, there are the students, who can join the groups as long as they know the access code. They will be able to download files, view events, view grades, send documents to the teacher, etc. In addition, they have the possibility to participate in the group created by the teacher, just as they would in a Facebook group, and raise questions there that can be resolved by other classmates or the same teacher.
Finally, we have the parents, who will be able to access the platform and their children’s data if they have the code for the children’s relatives. In this way, they will have the possibility to consult the activities of their little one, their qualifications or events.
Once you have created one of the three forms, you will only have to start browsing its platform and try all the options it offers.
Why you should use Edmodo in the classroom?
In addition to being a simple way for parents to be aware of the evolution of their children in class, Edmodo has a number of advantages for teachers and students.
- Gamification: Gamification in the classroom is integrated into Edmodo through the badges, which are created by the teacher and awarded to the students. Thus, you can give these “awards” to students based on what you think is most appropriate (best work, best comment, most effort, etc.).
- Security: Cybersecurity is one of the best things about Edmodo, as it is a secure network for parents, students and teachers. And is that the data displayed on the platform is confidential.
- Improves interaction with the student: Being constituted as a social network, students are more predisposed to learn. Thus, the platform implements and tracks usage patterns to see what works best.
- Measure progress: Without a doubt, one of the best advantages of Edmodo is that it facilitates student monitoring in order to measure progress. Any document, badge or qualification that is sent through the platform are saved so that they can be consulted when desired.
- Personalization: Teachers will be able to expand the syllabus or add documents so that the student has access to a greater knowledge network. So, if you have any questions, you will have all the material in one place.
- Free: In addition to offering all these advantages, Edmodo is a service that will not cost you a single euro.
- Compatibility: Today it is compatible with the most popular operating systems (Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android), so you can consult it from any computer, tablet or smartphone.
You may also like http://cherryblossomlife.com/